For the ARA and other projects of the Center for Wireless, Communities and Innovation (WiCI), a Postdoc/Research-Scientist position, a Research/Engineering Manager position, and several research positions for Ph.D., Master, and Undergraduate Students are available to work on wireless and edge systems for rural broadband, 5G and beyond. The positions offer opportunities of contributing to exciting projects such as this $16M ARA PAWR project, the $20M ICICLE AI Institute project, the OPERA open-source ecosystem project, and other projects of the WiCI Center. Key missions include 1) establishing the large-scale, first-of-its-kind wireless living lab ARA which encompasses bleeding-edge technologies and innovation platforms (e.g., those for free-space optical communications, mmWave, massive MIMO, LEO satcom, URLLC, communications and networking softwarization, AR/VR, and precision agriculture) and 2) collaborating with a broad ecosystem of public-private partners in advancing the frontiers of wireless systems, edge/cloud computing, and rural broadband.
For the Postdoc/Research-Scientist position, prior systems research experience in wireless, networks, and/or distributed systems is invaluable. For instance, qualifications in any of the following areas are strong pluses:
- Research experience and quality publications in advanced wireless systems (e.g., 5G and beyond);
- Hands-on experience in designing, developing, deploying, and operating field-deployed wireless, network, and/or distributed systems;
- Hands-on experience with cellular network platforms (e.g., srsRAN, OpenAirInterface, ONF SD-RAN), edge/cloud computing platforms (e.g., OpenStack, Kubernetes), SDN, and VNF;
- Hands-on experiences in edge/cloud systems management, virtual machines/containers, Linux systems administration, shell scripting, etc;
- Capability of building systems prototypes based on reference publications and/or open-source software;
- Programming skills: Python, C, C++, Java, Web etc;
- Knowledge of wireless systems, networked/distributed systems, operating systems, virtualization, systems and network security.
For the Research/Engineering Manager position, key responsibilities include leading technical project execution and management, team development, and stakeholder engagement. Prior experience in wireless/networking/software systems development, deployment, and/or operation is invaluable. Qualifications in any of the following areas are pluses (even though not required):
- Prior experience in managing technology projects (especially those in wireless, networking, software, and/or IT);
- Prior experience in leading engineering teams;
- Project Management Professional (PMP) and/or Scrum Master certifications;
- Prior experience in managing public-private partnerships.
For the Ph.D. positions, background in computer science, computer engineering, and/or electrical engineering is required, and experience in systems building, analytical studies, and/or research will be a strong plus.
For the Master and Undergraduate positions, experience and/or interest in programing, systems building, and experiential learning are strong pluses.
Interested candidates are encouraged to email Hongwei Zhang with relevant background information (e.g., education, experience, transcripts, and/or publications) and the names of up to three references. Applications will be considered until the positions are filled.
The work is to be conducted at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Iowa State University (ISU), U.S.A. ISU is a major research university, and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at ISU has over 100 years of rich and distinguished history. For instance, individuals from the department have pioneered the world’s first electronic digital computer, encoding process for fax machines, world’s first portable phone, medical ultrasound technology, first handheld scientific calculator, and infant respiratory augmentor. As a 400+ acre development and having over 96 tenants employing over 2,250 people, the ISU Research Park hosts a vibrant startup community as well as R&D branches of major companies such as John Deere. In addition, many other established and start-up companies (e.g., Collins Aerospace, Emerson) are within 100 miles from ISU campus and are leaders in wireless communication and networking, AR/VR and control systems, and their applications in various domains. ISU campus also offers a great life experience in the City of Ames, Iowa.