In part for this ARA project, we have a Postdoc/Research Scientist position and a Research Administrator position in wireless and edge systems for rural broadband, 5G and beyond. One mission is to join the broad ARA project team to establish a large-scale, first-of-its-kind wireless living lab encompassing bleeding-edge technologies and innovation platforms (e.g., those for free-space optical communication, mmWave, massive MIMO, LEO satcom, URLLC, communications and networking softwarization, AR/VR, and precision agriculture) and to collaborate with a broad ecosystem of public-private partners in advancing the frontiers of wireless systems, edge/cloud computing, and rural broadband.
For the Postdoc/Research Scientist position, prior systems research experience in wireless, networks, and/or distributed systems is invaluable. For instance, qualifications in any of the following areas are strong pluses:
- Research experience and quality publications in advanced wireless systems (e.g., 5G and beyond);
- Hands-on experience in designing, developing, deploying, and operating field-deployed wireless, network, and/or distributed systems;
- Hands-on experience with cellular network platforms (e.g., OpenAirInterface, srsLTE, ONF SD-RAN and COMAC), edge/cloud computing platforms (e.g., OpenStack, Kubernetes), SDN, and VNF;
- Hands-on experiences in edge/cloud systems management, virtual machines/containers, Linux systems administration, shell scripting, etc;
- Capability of building systems prototypes based on reference publications and/or open-source software;
- Programming skills: Python, Web, C, C++, Java etc;
- Knowledge of wireless systems, networked/distributed systems, operating systems, virtualization, systems and network security.
For the Research Administrator position, key responsibilities include project management, financial management, research funding program management, and stakeholder engagement. Prior experience in managing technology projects (especially those in wireless, networking, software, and/or IT) and/or public-private partnerships is invaluable. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or Scrum Master certifications are also pluses.
Interested candidates are encouraged to email Hongwei Zhang with relevant background information (e.g., education, transcripts, experience, and/or publications) and the names of up to three references. Applications will be considered until the positions are filled.
The work is to be conducted at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Iowa State University (ISU), U.S.A. ISU is a major research university, and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at ISU has over 100 years of rich and distinguished history. For instance, individuals from the department have pioneered the world’s first electronic digital computer, encoding process for fax machines, world’s first portable phone, medical ultrasound technology, first handheld scientific calculator, and infant respiratory augmentor. As a 400+ acre development and having over 96 tenants employing over 2,250 people, the ISU Research Park hosts a vibrant startup community as well as R&D branches of major companies such as John Deere. In addition, many other established and start-up companies (e.g., Collins Aerospace, Emerson) are within 100 miles from ISU campus and are leaders in wireless communication and networking, AR/VR and control systems, and their applications in various domains. ISU campus also offers a great life experience in the City of Ames, Iowa.